Indian River Life-Saving Station Museum
Located South of Dewey Beach on Route 1. The former Indian River Lifesaving Station was built in 1876 and is the oldest lifesaving station still in its original location on the East Coast of the United States. One of the first stations designed by the federal government, it remained open until the famed nor’easter of 1962 filled it with several feet of sand. The Delaware Seashore Preservation Foundation took over the task of restoring the station many years later with the goal of restoring it to its 1905 appearance. They accomplished that goal and reopened the historic building as a museum in 1998.